Thursday, January 27, 2011

Another Project Bites The Dust

This past summer I found this for $25 at our local Goodwill. This is the only before shot I have and it's from my camera phone. I meant to take some more before shots but I forgot, and as usual just jumped into the project. I need to work on my picture taking!!!

Here are some interesting details about this whatch-ma-call-it. Back in it's day (the 70's according to a manufacturers sticker on the bottom) this was a snazzy stereo player. The sides were fabric speakers, and the inside had the shelves and wiring for the stereo. The top is like an old dry-sink. Very cool and definitely unusual.

Using the same bead board idea as the china hutch we completely gutted the inside and ripped out the speakers. Once B had installed the bead board, we (and I use this word loosely) added a shelf inside for extra storage. And that's it. That is all it took for a quick update.

Here's where I come in, time for some paint. Everyone know B does not paint, he absolutely hates it. I on the other hand have a painting sickness. For me it's instant gratification. I love it!

So anywho, I gave the bead board and inside a quick prime, then painted the bead board black. After everything dried, I used some of the blueish-green oopps paint I bought for $2.50. Everything got two coats of paint and several hours of drying. Once it was mostly dry, I broke out my sanding block to give it a good scuffing up. I couldn't get the groves of the bead board very well so I just ran a screw driver down the length of each seam. Perfecto!

I couldn't wait to get the doors back on and the sweet little crystal knobs in place, but alas it had to dry a bit more.

After a day of drying completely I put everything together and here is what I came up with!

What's that you ask? Where did I get that huge mirror? That's another Goodwill find from this summer. Set me back $9.00 and about 30 minutes of scraping some horrible silver paint off the mirror. After a couple coats of spray paint, even I couldn't believe how gorgeous she looked.

These two together are a match made in Heaven! I am completely enamored!

2 comments:

  1. This came out really nice! Love that price..you ended up with something worth alot more money! I really like the way the distressing and bead board came out. Your mirror reminds me of a mirror I found at the GW for about $7.00. It looked like it once belong to a girls bedroom set, it was a cream color. I painted it black and hung it in my dining room over a buffet. I agree... your new pieces are a match made in Heaven! Happy thrifting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I even love the color you chose for your dry sink. What a change! Your mirror is fabulous. I need a nice mirror. Gonna start scouring the thrift shops for one. Maybe I'll get as lucky as you and my sister. Thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete